Thursday, May 22, 2008

Kind, Tenderhearted, and Forgiving




I have gotten so excited reading and working the book of Ephesians this past month. Here are a few of the things that are jelling in my heart and changing my life.
Eph 4:31,32 KJV
Eph 4:31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamor, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
Eph 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Both of these verses have figure of speeches in them. God uses FOS to make an emphasis.
The FOS polysyndeton is used in vs 31. It means many ands are used making an emphasis on each word. God wants us to stop at each point weight each word not just hurry on to the conclusion.

The opposite FOS -asyndeton- no ands is used in vs. 32 Making the emphasis on the conclusion even as God for Christ sake forgiven you.

God wants us to focus our attention on the fact He has forgiven us so we should forgive others.

In verse 31 God says Let all bitterness, and wrath, and clamor..... be put away. God is giving us permission to let these feelings go. He is letting us know it is okay not to harbor these feelings. The Moffat translations says to drop these things. Isn't that cool DROP them. Let these feeling go, get rid of them.

Something else I found is bitterness is opposite of kind in the Greek. Wrath opposite of tenderhearted in the Greek. Anger opposite of forgiving in the Greek.

I did not know what clamour meant so I took some time looking at it. The Greek word is kraugē It means an outcry, tumult, or grief. It is translated 6 times. Clamour one time, cry or crying the other 5 times. Including cryings in Rev 21:4 no more death or sorrow, or crying, neither shall there be anymore pain. That is wild to think God says we can put away crying.

I also loved looking at the word kind in vs. 32
Kind is the Greek word chrēstos it is translated 7 times one of those times is goodness in Rom 2:4 the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
Wow kind and goodness are the same word God tells us to be just as kind as He is good. So good that it leadeth man to change.

Here are all 7 of the uses of chrēstos
gracious I Peter 2:3
easy Mt 11:30
better Luke 5:39
kind Luke 6:35, Eph 4:32
good I Cor 15:33
goodness Rom 2:4

The greek word for tenderhearted is only used 2 times. Here and in I Peter 3:8 the word compassion is the same word as tenderhearted.
1Pe 3:8 Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous: sympathetic, relate to the other one.

God reminds us to be sympathic and compassionate.

I want to be kind, tenderhearted and always able to forgive. God knows I can I just need to do it. Thankfully I am surrounded by a household that trys to live this way so when I fall short they along with God are able to forgive me. I am humbled by that forgiveness.

1 comment:

Mrs. Coleman said...

Thank you for your thoughts! I was "blog surfing" this afternoon, and I don't think I found your blog by accident. Maybe it was just what God wanted me to hear this afternoon.
Thank You for your witness on the web!
Rhonda
navywifearmymom@yahoo.com